Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Phone Cases -- The new plastic seat cover


Remember Grandma's plastic couch. You know the one that looked so nice for all of these years because of the hideous plastic seat cover. I am exaggerating if you hadn't noticed. Look at the picture. Its a ugly couch protected by hot sticky plastic. Way to preserve this masterpiece so our generation will know to never make something so ugly.

I remember sitting on Grandma's couch thinking, I will never do this! To my dismay I didn't realize some day I would. Recently my employer upgraded my phone, and gave me a case for it. When I first saw the phone I noticed how nice it looked, sleek, thin, sharp display, wow what a nice phone....Then I had to box the thing up in a ridiculous case.

Besides being clunky and ugly, the first thing I noticed was the heat. I have the ability to turn my phone into a wireless hot spot. Whenever I do the phone heats up a little, that, "little" heat turned into an oven trapped inside the phone case. I tried to make a call after the hot spot use use and noticed that the entire case was incredible hot. Concerned for the hardware I took it out and it cooled down quickly. I then turned the wifi back on, and while it did heat up, it was no where near the level it was at.

Then I started thinking, why do we spend $50.00 or more for a phone case that offers little protection, and could potentially overheat and ruin the phone. I mean how long will you have the phone for anyway. It seems like for me anyway, its about 3 years, and by then it is way, way out of date. What on earth are people doing that need a ruggedized case. Yeah if you are working in construction, I get it, but for IT nerds, why on earth do you need it, especially for a phone that was built with Kevlar.

I have come to this conclusion, if you have a case, you are no different than your grandma. Preserve you soon to be antiquated tech, best to yah!  

No comments:

Post a Comment